Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:50:56 -0500
> Couldn't you take a trawler and just hang a bedsheet from the cabin roof?

"I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And
all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
- John Masefield

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to
change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

I grew up around sailboats. Sailing and fly fishing have a lot in
common. You never reach a point of total success or knowledge. You are
learning and tweaking your entire life. For a person who is always
restless and needing to adjust things, sailing is simply wonderful.
There is nothing worse to me than pointing a boat in a certain
direction, plunging the throttle forward and pretending that you are
important. I want to keep engineering a better way or a better trim.
The exhilaration of getting a sailboat to actually break double-digit
speed is something one must experience at least once in your life.
It's especially exhilarating when the max hull speed is exceeded and
things get really funky. Yet, it's usually more like this:

"The pleasures of being becalmed became threadbare; there is a limit
to untutored star gazing."
-Charles Landery

--
Ken Norton