Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:30:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I grew up around sailboats. Sailing and fly fishing have a lot in
>common. You never reach a point of total success or knowledge. You are
>learning and tweaking your entire life. For a person who is always
>restless and needing to adjust things, sailing is simply wonderful.
>There is nothing worse to me than pointing a boat in a certain
>direction, plunging the throttle forward and pretending that you are
>important. I want to keep engineering a better way or a better trim.

     Aha!  Now I have a better understanding of who's on the other end of these
conversations.  I knew that there was something beyond just an engineering
background.

     I've never been under sail, but before I went to high school I had ridden
all of the Cunnard liners, the United States, and two troop ships, and the last
of those went through the tail end of a hurricane between Greenland and Bermuda
for two days.  Plus I got to witness the Stockholm limping into New York harbor
after it had rammed and sunk the Andrea Doria.

     The result is that I still cannot read anough about being under sail,
fiction or history, the last being "Rounding the Horn" by Dallas Murphy.  A
recent favourite was "The Way of a Ship: A Square-Rigger in te Last Days of
Sail" by Derek Lundy.

     Have you ever read "Tuning the Rig: A Journey to the Arctic" by Harvey
Oxenhorn?  It's a wonderful true-life account of growing up and rising beyond
your limitations.  Great reading for anyone who thinks there are no remaining
frontiers.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson