Re: [OM] Hawker Hunter crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Hawker Hunter crash
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 07:17:04 +0100
Apparently he was formerly a Harrier pilot, John.  The death toll on the road
by the airfield was horrible.

I flew that poor old airframe, WV372, twice in March 1978, converting to the
Hunter while training at RAF Valley.  Some reports are that the pilot is still
alive; if so, the airframe will have been strong enough to withstand the crash,
at the same time absorbing a whole lump of energy.

It’s difficult to work out what went wrong, but he clearly didn’t have enough
sky in which to recover from the loop; in addition, I have been wondering
whether he suffered from excess G and did not perform the manoeuvre to his best
ability.

Chris