Re: [OM] IMG: a day in Washington DC

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: a day in Washington DC
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:12:33 -0400
And I was on the other side of the timeline. I got out of the Air Force in June 1965, after the Gulf of Tonkin incident but before most anyone could even spell Vietnam. My closest connection with the war is my brother-in-law, a forward artillery observer who returned with a silver star and a lot of visible and invisible scars. Parts of it get relived when he's had a few too many beers.

To my great surprise he and several of his buddies returned to a lengthy tour of Vietnam (north and south) in October, 2007. I was surprised that he'd do it and greatly relieved when he returned and reported that it was largely cathartic and he was very glad he went.

To the best of my knowledge he's been to the Vietnam Memorial twice. The fact that he returned says a lot I think. I've been there twice myself. All I can say is that it's a very moving experience even for me who wasn't there and totally unlike all the other memorials.

Chuck Norcutt