Re: [OM] Out of the Dark

Subject: Re: [OM] Out of the Dark
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:16:22 -0500
> One of the boys' toys we see frequently over here is the multi-million
> candlepower torch.  I bought a paltry 1,000,000 candlepower version some
> years ago - it has a 12v sealed lead-acid accumulator and a 35w halogen
> bulb. Works well. I don't know what this beast has:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Million-candle-power-torch/dp/B0013BPREO

I had one that plugged into the cigarette lighter of my car. It kept
blowing fuses. In reality, it wasn't very useful because the beam was
so narrow that it was hard to handhold steady and with the close
position of light and eye, whatever it was that you were shining was
actually hard to see because you had no shadows to provide any
dimensional depth. As far as critters were concerned, about all you
could really make out were the eyeballs as the critters blended in
with the vegetation.

If I ever get another high-power flashlight like this, I'd like the
low-power setting to be the same, but the high power setting up around
2000 lumens and a wider beam. The candle power of the center spot is
good, but if it was widened out to twice the diameter, it would be
pritner perfect. Maybe after my other daughter starts college. ;)

New flashlights are still less expensive than new cameras.

AG