Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 21:55:43 -0700
On 8/30/2015 2:05 PM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
I somehow missed that you have the ZS40.  Did you previously have a Canon
Powershot s95 (or similar)?
How do you find the Panny compared to that?

(I'm looking to replace my S95 with something of a similar size but
better...)

thanks for advice,

Yes, I still have an S100, but haven't used it in ages. Coincidentally, I just had it out today to charge the battery, and was again seduced a bit by how small it is.

The ZS40 is quite a bit bigger. <http://camerasize.com/compare/#106,507>

But not too big to fit in a horizontal pouch on my belt, same way as I carried
the S100.

The headline features vs, the S100 are the loooong zoom range, 24-720 vs. 24-120 and the EVF. Headline features vs. others in the compact super zoom class are Raw files and the EVF.

About that EVF ... It's crap, and it's glorious. Coarse, rather small visual image, poor red/yellow/oranges. BUT, it exists and it works. Not only in the usual way of working when the LCD is hard to see. It's also almost infinitely better at the long end than the LCD. Magnification is so great at 720 mm eq. that finding one's subject using the LCD can be tough. I just couldn't find some birds and butterflies in a big tropical exhibit on the LCD. Using the VF is a bit like pointing my finger, much more intuitive and easy to do.

The long zoom is like catnip to me. I've always loved picking out small details from the visual field, hence C-U/macro and long tele are important to me.

I've not tried to compare IQ directly to the S100. The ZS40 has more megapickles and a smaller sensor, but is newer tech. I'm guessing they are about a push, using Raw. Shooting Raw with the ZS40 is essential, to me. The JPEGs may look great at small sizes, but fall apart for me larger. Even the Raw files viewed in a browser like FastStone look slightly crummy large, while with proper processing the Raw files can be very good.

All of the first two rows but the last image here are with the ZS40. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Cabo_2015>

As far as something the same size as the S95, the S110 may still be the answer. The larger sensor 'enthusiast' cameras, like Bob's new friend, tend to be larger, closer to the ZS40 in size than the S95.

Zee Moose