Re: [OM] M240 as Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] M240 as Scanner
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 14:52:05 -0700
On 9/1/2015 11:56 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
For a direct comparison to how you're doing I'd suggest picking about 3 slides with different subject material but high contrast (for focusing). But pick these slides from those you have already scanned.

The image posted is both a great portrait and looks very well reproduced. So if the question is "Is it good enough at the largest size posted?", the answer is yes.

Then try out your M240 "scanner" and see how closely you can replicate what the LS5000 has already done.

I agree that is the best way to tell how much may be lost with the different
method.

If you shoot at f/11 you may have as little as 1mm depth of field or 2mm at f/16. Remember that you have to capture the depth of the curvature of the film.

Examine the slides/film and see if the film curvature is fairly constant between different images. If so you should be able to pick one very high contrast image specifically chosen to make focusing easier. Use manual focus, get it as good as you can one time and then leave it alone.

I have a slightly different opinion. I've carefully tested several flat field macro lenses against each other. All the old, MF ones had best results at f8, although f11 is about the same. OTOH, the one recent FF design, a Tamron 90/2.8, was significantly sharper at f4 than f8 and almost as good wide open as at f4.

Assuming these are all negatives, held in a proper holder, I doubt film flatness is much of a problem anywhere but at the far edges, where it generally won't matter. With slides in mounts, it can be a bigger problem. I don't know any way to pick an aperture for a particular kind of film and set-up but testing.

Scan several slides at f/11 and f/16 and see how they compare with the LS5000 images. You make the decision based on direct comparison.

As above, I'd say f4 through f11.

The question in my mind is about time and effort. When I tried 'scanning' with a camera, I found it far more time consuming than using a scanner, especially cloning out dust and scratches. With B&W, you are stuck with that anyway, but with color the scanner IR channel saves a lot of time. OTOH, CH scanned lots of film with camera on copy stand and preferred it to his scanner.

Surely there are people you can pay to get one or the other scanner working?

Scan A. Moose