Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 18:58:58 -0400
Dumb question (of course) does the GPS app on a phone work even where you
don't get phone signal?
On Sep 1, 2015 2:21 PM, "Mike Lazzari" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Why not carry a pocket size GPS device ....... like my Garmin GPSMap 64s
>> ........ and every time you snap the shutter click the GPS and record
>>
>> another way point location accurate to the fifth decimal place of lat
>> and long. I haven't gone wrong yet !
>
> The 64s would be perfect but no need to set waypoints. Assuming that you
are already carrying a GPS that is on and tracking all that is necessary is
to make sure the camera clock is set reasonably close so that it is in sync
with the GPS. (one can correct later but it's a pain) The software only has
to select the nearest track point taken at the time of the photo. This is
the approach I would take since I have no use for a phone with a gps or
app-ability and high priced "plan".  And I carry a gps on such trips
anyway. So far I haven't bothered to do the track/photo syncing even though
I have the tracks. I just don't have a need for pinpoint accuracy however I
can see the benefit in certain circumstances, e.g. I may go back and
resurrect old Scotland tracks to sync. (where _was_ that exactly??)

> FWIW there is no need to spend $300 on a gps as suggested. Something like
the $80 Etrex10 at REI would be perfect and have other benefits and uses
unlike the one-trick-pony data loggers that cost nearly as much or more.
Bottom line though: a smartish phone is all most people likely need.