Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 16:24:29 -0700
On 9/1/2015 3:58 PM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
Dumb question (of course) does the GPS app on a phone work even where you
don't get phone signal?

Yup, otherwise, I'd have one of those stand alone GPS thingies.

There's even a map app that works well without cell or WiFi: YouNeedAMap.
"If you get lost or in an emergency, YOU NEED A MAP! A map that works everywhere even without a cell phone signal. A map that shows not just roads but also terrain, streams, lakes and other landmarks. A map that covers the entire USA, all 50 states."

Better for finding out where one is than a cheap GPS unit that doesn't show maps. Even has some hiking trails. It's proved invaluable to me a few times, showing where I am relative to roads and landmarks.

Does not do turn by turn directions, you do need a dedicated unit or 'phone connectivity for that. That's why we still take our Magellan vehicle GPS along. Sometimes we want to know how to get from here, where there's no cell reception, to there.

Where's Moose