Re: [OM] Micro XC cards

Subject: Re: [OM] Micro XC cards
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 09:45:37 -0400
I decided to do a little more digging on XC cards. I didn't realize that SDHC cards topped out at 32GB... pretty small compared to FAT32 capabilities. Tehcnically, XC cards are the micro size version of SDXC cards. I said the technology is the same which is true for the hardware but the software side is using Microsoft's exFAT file system to go beyond 32GB ... which is patented by Microsoft and not universally available. Read the article in Wiki on SDHC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC>
which warns that:
This bears a risk of accidental loss of data, as a host device may treat a card with an unrecognized file system as blank or damaged and reformat the card. The SD Association provides a formatting utility for Windows and Mac OS X that checks and formats SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.

Caution is advised.

Chuck Norcutt