Re: [OM] Airline Travel Random Observation

Subject: Re: [OM] Airline Travel Random Observation
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:32:52 -0500
Chris,

I am an active flight simmer. As I cannot afford to fly the real
thing, it keeps my brain engaged. One of the things I do is generally
avoid the GPS stuff and do things with the steam gauges.

A personal challenge that I do once in a while is an ADF approach in
zero/zero conditions with a horrid gusty cross-winds and a short,
narrow runway. Once in a while I can actually succeed. It is easier to
do it in a King Air than a Cessna 172. Of course, the compass bezel
ADF in the 172 doesn't auto-rotate.

After doing a few crash-and-burns in zero/zero, changing back to
minimums is a piece of cake.

If faced with the REAL thing, I could do minimums, but I would have
wanted a chance to fly the approach in the sim beforehand.  ILS is
child's play.

AG