Re: [OM] Airline Travel Random Observation

Subject: Re: [OM] Airline Travel Random Observation
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:53:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I think it is a holdover from the original A/N range, where one flew a
>fixed beam, with a Morse A on one side and an N on the other. They
>blended into a continuous tone when one was "on the beam". That was just
>disappearing, and VOR was all the rage, when I started flying in 1957.
>"Range" was a part of the culture, and VOR gave one omni-ranges instead
>of the single beam.

     I was watching "The Aviator" (Christopher Reeves flying airmail) and they
mentioned airway beacons.  Those were rotating lights much like we still have
at airports.  There may still be one of those airway beacons north of York, PA
along the Susquehanna Trail.

     It wasn't that long ago that the last of the Red and Blue airways were
decommissioned.  There was one in North Carolina along Cape Hatteras, and
Alaska was full of them.  They used VLF (Very Low Frequency) nondirectional
beacons.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson