Re: [OM] Selfie Safety Hazards

Subject: Re: [OM] Selfie Safety Hazards
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:30:48 -0500
Free to be Moose wrote:
> You are off the rails and started down a slippery slope.

I didn't realize that I didn't need such a big stick to poke the Moose out
of hibernation.

I am a strong believer in one of the basic tenets of the USA, and that is
of personal freedom. Obviously, placing limits on who can and cannot marry
goes against that. But don't we already impose limits today? You can't
marry a close relative, you can't get married below a certain age. Why not
raise that age to at least the legal age to buy booze. If you can't marry
your sister (except in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas), why can't we say that
a basic intelligence test can't be used--after all, it's to prevent some of
the same conditions. In our modern, western culture, our freedoms to marry
and procreate without limits is an anomaly in historical context.

When I was going to college, one of my three part-time jobs was working at
McDonalds. One of my co-workers was barely 20 and had already fathered 8
children. He was supporting none of them and was bagging another couple
girls from work. Meanwhile, here I am, raising two daughters and wondering
how to help them with their college fees. It would have been a whole lot
easier to do what he did and that is let somebody else (the government) pay
for them.

While we have the freedom to marry and procreate, that shouldn't mean that
we have an unrestricted right to that privilege.

One of our communities here in Iowa, that we are intimately familiar with,
over 2/3 of grade 12 girls are either pregnant or already have had a child.
NONE of them are married. Houston, we have a problem.

AG