Re: [OM] IMG: A Puzzler for Cessna Buffs

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Puzzler for Cessna Buffs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:58:05 -0500
While I've never been fond of the fast-back Cessnas, that one is quite
good looking.

I never could quite understand why the 172 has such heavy use in the
bush. It's underpowered and the wing just isn't quite STOL-ish enough.
If you put a climb prop on it, that helps matters, but then you aren't
going anywhere once you get into the air. Above 5000 feet, it's
asthmatic and the carb is prone to icing if you look at it funny.
Throw enough fuel in the wings for a round trip and you are at gross
with two people and no bags. Add insult to injury, the wing height is
such that you are more prone to float problems in ground effect when
you want to get those stinking wheels on the ground. And finally, with
full flaps, no side-slipping.

Otherwise, it's a great airplane. We did learn how to STOL our 172,
but nothing about it is easy when you really must clear that 50' tree
on a hot humid summer day at gross weight. We could control-crash the
172 to a stop within 150 feet, but taking off would require the entire
airfield.

There are some STCs for hanging big engines on it and constant-speed
props, as well as other wing modifications. I suppose that would work
well, but then you basically end up with a 180/182 anyway.

AG