Re: [OM] IMG: Battered B'fly

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Battered B'fly
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:26:06 -0500
>      You need the slower speed for close air support, unless you're using
> "smart" ordnance.  The A-7, A-1E, and A-10 were good at that.

We were discussing this online on another post. I am not shy about my
support of the A-10, but I would say that the 314 Super Tucano is a
very fine example of low-cost, "expendable" CAS. While it doesn't have
the extreme durability of the A-10, it's single turbo-prop engine is
powerful enough to get it motivated, it can carry a fair bit of
ordnance and is highly maneuverable. From an overall
airframe/powerplant combination, it's actually comparable to the P51,
minus the bad habits. Unlike the P51, you can actually do a departure
stall without dying.  As an air-superiority aircraft, the P51 is
better, but I wouldn't use either for air-superiority now. As a CAS
aircraft, the Super Tucano is simply amazing.

Another interesting aircraft in that category would be the
"Frankenmonster" that Air Tractor has put together.

AG