Re: [OM] One Moonrise Picture for the night

Subject: Re: [OM] One Moonrise Picture for the night
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:10:00 -0500
> I don't know about changing shape but certainly changing shape requires a
> change in dimension somewhere.  However, I just finished reading an article
> that says the common belief that the sun or moon becomes larger as they
> approach the horizon has been declared an optical illusion after being
> disproven by careful measurement with thodolites.

The moon appeared MUCH smaller last night during the eclipse itself to
the human eye. Didn't change size in the viewfinder, though.

> Well there you go.  My eyes and brain are subject to optical illusions.
> Your E3 is not yet still images an oblate spheroid.  As I said: "I don't
> know". :-)

The key on this one is the rough serrated edge on the moon. That was
caused by the atmospheric conditions of the various layers of air that
it was rising up through. I've probably got 2000-3000 pictures of sun
and moon rise/sets with this characteristic. Whether it gets squatty
or tall depends on the temperature of the various layers of air. Cold
over warm will give you squatty. Warm over cold will give you tall.

AG (was warm over cold, now more cold over warm) Schnozz