Re: [OM] One Moonrise Picture for the night

Subject: Re: [OM] One Moonrise Picture for the night
From: Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 07:58:39 -0400
Actual Mencken quote:

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records
for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by
underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.
Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

He went on to say:

“The mistake that is made always runs the other way. Because the plain
people are able to speak and understand, and even, in many cases, to read
and write, it is assumed that they have ideas in their heads, and an
appetite for more. This assumption is a folly.”

Sept. 19, 1926, Chicago Tribune, in a column on the new trend in newspapers
toward the tabloid size rather than the standard broadsheet.

By the way, just FYI, Mencken was as purebred an arrogant asshole as ever
walked the streets of America. But he had a way with language, he did, and
that has saved him. For the time being. And I have to confess, I would love
to see what Mencken would make of Fox News. Hehehe

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal