Re: [OM] OT: Hurricane Joaquin

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Hurricane Joaquin
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:25:50 -0500
>      Yes, Joaquin is firmly anchored over the Bahamas and will remain so
> until tomorrow.  Having a category 4 storm stationary over land has got to be
> devastating.  No news from the Bahamas as of yet.

The latest on the direction is now 3kts to the NW. This is the first
sign of northward movement at all, but it is still effectively
stationary.

That dry air mass from the NE has finally gotten to it overnight.
We're going to get some really wild dry-line storm explosions as it
plows into this and could give it more spin. It could go Cat5.

Another thing I'm noticing is how this storm is now influencing the
air mass coming in from the west. Normally, those air masses will
shove the storm along (moving it north in this case), but this thing
is pushing back, so to speak. If it stays stationary another day, it
just might end up moving west across Cuba instead of going north. I am
interpreting the data is indicating that a west vs. north movement is
literally a hundred mile coin flip. If it was 100 miles further
south...

If it holds it's position another day and is able to overpower the air
mass coming in from North America, all bets are off where it will go.
I'm not convinced that it is a forgone conclusion of an Atlantic
track. We'll see what happens with the next position update.

AG (Firmly Planted in Tornado Alley, not Hurricane Highway) Schnozz