Re: [OM] Some more rain at Murrells Inlet

Subject: Re: [OM] Some more rain at Murrells Inlet
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 15:24:39 -0400
Columbia is under water.  Lots of the city is closed and some neighborhoods
and shopping centers have water to the roofs.  Cathy is in a high area and
her basement is flooded.  They have turned off the water, power has been
off, and nobody is traveling anywhere!  All of this is only going to get
worse.  That's why I have an Apocalypse Room:
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/160763277   That's from July.   Every
shelf is now full and boxes of full jars are stacked everywhere!

Tina

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> It's 2:45 pm Sunday afternoon.  Add 2" more.  Still coming down and the
> pond did overflow several hours ago.  The little bridge the stream passes
> under couldn't take the volume and is now flowing across the road a few
> inches deep.  This has put the water level higher than some of the street
> drains so water is accumulating in parts of the street with nowhere to go.
>
> The good news is that Collins Creek (which drains the little stream) which
> empties into the Waccamaw River is flowing well.  It's a tidal creek, the
> tide is going out and the water is flowing briskly.  But it's also a couple
> hundred feet wider than it was a few days ago and is making wet swamp where
> there had been only rather dry swamp before.
>
> Also of note, our two little alligators have returned.  Putting on my
> gator-brain hat I suspect their thought process is something like this:
> "Hey, this rain and flooding stuff is a damned nuisance.  Let's go back to
> our old pond.  It was a lot nicer over there."
>
> Sort of like our old cat Smokey.  If it was raining outside when you tried
> to let him out the front door he would immediately go to the back door and
> wait to be let out there.  It was always raining there too but he never
> learned.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 10/4/2015 12:28 PM, ChrisB wrote:
>
>> Best of luck with staying dry, Chuck.  It sounds wet there!
>>
>> Chris
>>
>>> On 4 Oct 2015, at 17:17, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've measured 15.5" between about 7:30 Friday morning until 11:20 Sunday
>>> morning.  It's still coming down hard.  The pond behind the house has risen
>>> a couple of feet above it's relief drain and is now threatening to over
>>> flow the riprap of the emergency overflow drain.  Both drains carry water
>>> into the stream that runs through the woods behind my house. I hope the
>>> stream continues to flow freely.
>>>
>>> I'm about 28 feet above sea level and there is no street flooding around
>>> here that I'm aware of.  Not so with the highways and towns along the shore
>>> line.
>>>

>> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com