Re: [OM] IMG: Stemme S10-vt Motorglider

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Stemme S10-vt Motorglider
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:37:00 -0500
Thanks, Rick.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 10/7/2015 8:05 AM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
Fabulous set, Jim!

On Oct 7, 2015 2:05 AM, "ChrisB" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That’s an amazing machine, Jim.  And I bet it costs a pretty penny . . .

Chris

On 7 Oct 15, at 03:01, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Glider enthusiasts can now have the best of both worlds, powered flight
and a record-setting sailplane.  The Stemme S10-vt motorglider is built in
Germany and distributed in North America from Colombia, SC.  The company
demonstrator arrived this afternoon in preparation for the AOPA fly-in
which takes place this weekend. I was happy to get a chance for a close
look.
The airplane is powered by a 115hp Rotax turbocharged engine that is
installed behind the cockpit, which drives a concealable folding propeller
behind the nosecone.  It can cruise comfortably at 120 knots, and carries
oxygen to go along with its service ceiling of 30,000 ft.  With a high
aspect ratio wing, it has a 50:1 glide ratio in glider configuration.  The
long wing is folded to enable it to make use of normal storage.
The demonstration pilot gave me a big wave when he arrived.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+1.tif.html <
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+1.tif.html>
I was impressed by the instrument panel.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+2.tif.html <
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+2.tif.html>
I had seen pictures of the folding prop, but had never seen one up
close.  The engine and prop can make normal takeoffs and climbs, can be
stopped and stowed in the air, and can be repositioned and restarted in the
air if necessary.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+3.tif.html <
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+3.tif.html>
The wing hinges permit folding by one man, so that normal parking or
hangar spaces can be utilized.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+4.tif.html <
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+4.tif.html>
This shows the right wing in the folded and stowed position.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+5.tif.html <
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Stemme+5.tif.html>
All photos with the X-E1 and 27mm