Re: [OM] IMG: A Few Interesting Airplanes

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Few Interesting Airplanes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:00:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Current turboprops do have less range, strangely, but that may be because of
>a need to keep under 12,000 pounds, but I though there were ways around that
>now. In any event, turboprops main selling point is that their cost of
>operation is significantly lower than a jet for many operators. Although
>slower than a bigger jet, they are close in speed to the smaller ones, and
>for certain distances time isn't a big deal even if they are 200 MPH slower.

     A big advantage is short-field capability.  With a C-130E/H, you get 60%
of your maximum power when in full reverse, and smaller turboprops have similar
performance.  Turbofans can't match that, and it's a very big advantage for
commuter and feeder operations.

     And the props keep the engines cool.  If you don't think so, watch how the
pilots sweat when one is shut down.  :{D

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson