Re: [OM] this week's hike

Subject: Re: [OM] this week's hike
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 08:29:27 -0700
Why are the needles on these trees yellow?

They are larches. They inhabit higher elevations on the eastern side of the
range and put on quite a show in the fall. They are the reason the pup and I
(well, at least me :) ) hiked up there last week and the week before. See more
in my Hikes folder.

There are plenty of areas of bug kill though but they look brown. Also a lot of
acres burned in the past few years. The highway that I use for access was
closed much of the summer when a fire burned across it.