Re: [OM] Portrait shot - need lens opinion

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait shot - need lens opinion
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 18:14:41 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Interference is Moose writes:

<<One theory I've heard is that it is EMF leakage from lens electronics into
camera electronics. Whether that's it or not, at least it makes clear how two
interconnected micro computers could interact in ways you might not think of.

<<In the case of the 20/1.7, I've seen very slight banding on a Pen camera, so
<<it's not necessarily only one camera.

Very odd issue and reported early on with E-M5 but  also seen on E-M10.  There
are some reports of substantial lens to lens  variation in the banding as well.

Oly acknowledged the issue ages ago but I am not aware of any fix.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4199580748/olympus-acknowledges-om-d-e-m5-banding-with-panasonic-20mm-f1-7-lens

I don't understand this one well at all.  Mirrorless cams do require sometimes
complex interactions with the lenses--more than one might think especially with
EFCS.

At higher shutter speeds and large aperture and resulting convex cone of light
projected require a more shaped pixel reset  than row by row reset to match the
shading
interaction of the lens and mechanical second curtain shutter to avoid  uneven
exposure.  see:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56317953

Thus sony says NOT even to use EFCS with nonsystem lenses on the A7rII--that
seems massive overkill as long as SS is kept lower the images seem perfectly
fine.
But it does imply that using lenses across brands with mirrorless can be tricky
unless the lenses are tested on the cams which seem unlikely to date.  Too bad
sony has
rather mediocre quality control with the lenses--like Canyon was a few years
ago it seems.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/sony-e-mount-lens-sharpness-bench-tests

Most of the zooms seem to have some decentering to some degree that is quite
discernible to those that look.

Careful out there with the mix and match,  Mike