[OM] Déjà vu [was Arrrggghhhh]

Subject: [OM] Déjà vu [was Arrrggghhhh]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 22:17:08 -0400
I think /déjà vu/ is right, since I see these posts, not hear them spoken. :-)

On 10/26/2015 1:39 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
I absolutely detest the stupid design of the eyecups.
Ditto. A really stupid design. I finally gave up replacing them but find that now the little wheel that adjusts diopter continually gets moved and I have to readjust. Also the viewfinder is exposed to whacks and now I'm not sure a new cup will even fit. Using a permanent glue doesn't make sense since I can foresee an _occasional_ replacement could be necessary especially given the way I use the camera.

We've taken this carousel ride before. As before, there are a few of us who never have their eyecups fall off, and another few who always have that happen to them. We didn't find a reason then, and I'll bet we don't now.

I sure can't see why they would fall off A while ago (weeks?), I was having trouble with the LCD/VF auto-switching. I saw that the glass/plastic cover over the VF and auto-switch sensor was dirty, A quick clean with the microfiber cloth I carry in my shirt pocket fixed it. Earlier on this trip, it got worse, and cleaning didn't last long, so I took off the eyecup. Boy there was a lot of dust/lint/?? under there! Cleaned off, all has been well since.

Two points:

1. This is the perfect chance to tell what to do about misbehaving OMD VF
autoswitching.

2. I had to look closely, and make a special effort, to get that eyecup off. I was really scratching my head as to how it could come off by accident.

I don't have the original E-M5 with me to compare. Either you guys who lose them are doing something really amazing, or the design has changed. OTOH, I used that camera for many thousands of shots, the majority out in woods, fields, etc., where things are always getting tangled up, fingers going wrong places, etc., and never had it come off

Mystified Moose