Re: [OM] An unwelcome update from Clyde

Subject: Re: [OM] An unwelcome update from Clyde
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:53:45 +1300

Hi all,

Firstly, many thanks for all the messages of best wishes
etc. They are much appreciated.

We have excellent insurance, thanks to
the inclinations of my wife.

We are over the worst of it now and
living with a local single man in his 60's who welcomes some company and
a source of rental/board income. He has a nice, modest house with 4
bedrooms.

I hope to create a web-page with more info at some stage.

A couple of years ago I helped my computer man who had significant
health (accident) issues, and he has come back at me with a loan
computer, AND the chance through his contacts of buying a really good
ex-rental commercial machine. (My machine was totally melted down in the
fire).

He has suggested an I7 (i7) machine, but with no more details
than that.

I will appreciate more guidance as to ideal specifications
for a computer for image work- non-Apple.

Thanks in advance.

A huge
relief for me; I thought I had lost all my digital images, but anyway I
asked the guys who were dismantling the wreck of the house to extract a
3-drawer metal filling cabinet which contained about 5,000 selected
colour slides, and some valuable documents, so that I could sift through
them as see what was there.

I discovered 2 backup drives which I
thought had been left on the top of my desk and therefore incinerated,
but no, they had been heated - but.. One was mid 2013 and the other, in
an aluminium case, mid 2014. We didn't try the former ( I want to some
time) but the latter restored perfectly !! :-)

I'm in the process of
getting stuff together to do a fresh backup of all that 2014 material.

The worst camera etc losses are my E-1 (Ian Manners is sending me one,
for which I will be everlastingly grateful) and my E-3 with DZ 14-54
Mk1.

As a replacement I am considering one of these as a possibility

                Olympus OM-D EM-1 + 12-40mm f2.8
                $2400.00

                Olympus OM-D EM-1
+ 12-50mm kit