Re: [OM] An unwelcome update from Clyde

Subject: Re: [OM] An unwelcome update from Clyde
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:14:25 -0400
It's wonderful to hear that you have survived your problems much better than we (or you, apparently) thought you would.

I can't give you much advice on the computer but can tell you that I find my refurbished HP Pavilion desktop to be adequate to run PhotoShop. I paid USD 300 for it about 2-3 years ago as a refurbished machine so I don't really know how old it is.

One thing I consider very important is that it have at least one USB 3.0 port for backup speed. This one has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front, 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back and 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back.

Another important thing is lots of memory. Mine has 8GB but I don't know that I've ever seen it using more than about 6GB real memory. If it only had 4 it would be pretty slow when the real memory requirement rose to 6GB. I always remember the old saying that nothing resolves virtual memory performance problems like more real memory.

The processor is a relatively inexpensive AMD Quad Core A8-5500 at 3.2 GHz. The CPU is a middle of the road model for this HP model range. The motherboard also supports A8-5600K, A10-5700 and A10-5800K CPU models so upgrading is possible. The 5500 draws 65 watts. The 5600K and 5800K both draw 100 watts and are presumably relative fire breathers. These AMD processors have built-in Radeon graphics processors. Mine is the HD7560D model which I was surprised to learn recently is not supported by Adobe Camera Raw for accelerated graphics. I thought it used to be but now know that it's not. It may be related to a recent device driver update but I'm not sure of that. In any case my CPU rarely gets as high as 60% usage and the graphics are fast enough for me even without the acceleration. My display is a 24" Dell ISP with 1920x1080 HD resolution. The graphics card drives it nicely and it has beautiful color thanks to the IPS panel.

You can check the performance of CPUs here:
<https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php>
My CPU has a passmark value of 3900 which isn't bad. Intel Core i7 sounds impressive but the very first i7 610 only has a passmark score of 1969 or half the speed of the AMD. On the other hand, the i7 970 (also running at 3.2 GHz) has a passmark score of 8534, more than twice the speed of the AMD. The i7 970, however, costs $856 just for the CPU. Perhaps more telling is the single thread speed. My AMD model has a single thread speed of 1269. The i7 970 single thread speed is only 1384. So, the processor that costs 3X my entire computer is hardly any faster at all unless the computer is making good use of multi-theading. Depends on what you're doing and the apps you're running.

As to your lens choice for an E-M1 I have personally shied away from the faster pro model lenses simply because of their high cost and limited focal length range. Because of price breaks when I first bought my E-M5 I started with the 12-50 and a 14-150. After buying the E-M1 I added the 9-18 and the 75-300. The 14-150 is the best walk-around lens and wider angle requirements are usually met by making panos. The 12-50 is my next most used lens because it's just that much wider and has an excellent macro mode. It's drawback is that a 50mm long end just isn't as useful as 150mm long end. While I certainly use the the other two lenses I've been surprised that I tend to use the 9-18 more often than the 75-300. While I do use the 75-300, if I'm traveling light it's the one that gets left home or in the car.

My feeling is that if I'd bought the expensive 12-40 its limited range would have put me in need of more lenses but with less money to pay for them. And the reason I use micro 4/3 cameras is small size and weight. YMMV.

Chuck Norcutt