Re: [OM] Way OT --subwoofer wiring question

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT --subwoofer wiring question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:31:23 -0400
Thanks. I'll ask my general handyman if he'd like a crack at it and what his recommendation would be. So far I've had him to tile and electrical work. I asked him one day if there's anything he doesn't do. Answer: I don't build houses.

Chuck Norcutt

I read it later--it was late and I had  just worked 13 hours.  I had an
electrician (nephew of a patient) fish some wires for a very good price.  He
was an artist at this and the cosmetic/functional result was great.  I could
have run the zone 2 sub wires easily
myslef as I could just run it on the ceiling of the basement and up into the
cabinent ---the wireless thingie on trial worked just fine so I left it.  One
less project for my  limited time.  Now the Pardigm sub I have has the receiver
bulit in, so it is a tad easier.  The portable phone, wifi, hasn't caused any
trouble with any noticable interaction with any gear, like some reports with
other  such kits on Amazon.  I suspect the Paradgm implementation of this
wireless device is a bit better than the run of the mill as they don't have to
be quite as price sensitive.
Hard wiring is never a wrong answer, but one could consider trying  the best
reviewed one on amazon and return it if not satisfied, if running  the wires is
a royal pain.  I liked your post and will as a result go back and check my
delay settings on my AVR.  Moose mentioned the
possible latency issue  with the wireless sub though I don't think he noticed
any issue with mine  (might have offset it in the AVR but if it happened it was
3 years ago and will have to check)  I still have to  permanently wire in my
second passive sub (only used sometimes) and set the presets for proper level
in the AVR, but no emergency.

Two subs on either end of room seem better in some circumstances.   See the
below article---odd ball simulation using 5000 subs too.

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Wireless for now and liking it,  Mike

Thanks, but you do have to read the fine print:

"To minimize the chance of signal dropouts or signal interference, keep the
PT-2 transmitter out of range of a microwave oven, mobile telephone or a Bluetooth
device operating on the same frequency.

Your PT-2 transmitter is designed to work with Paradigm brand subwoofers only.

There kitchen microwave and 2 wireless phones are located less than or not much
greater distance than the subwoofer... which I don't want to replace.

Chuck Norcutt

I have the below thingie with 15ms latency in Zone 2 where I don't do much
critical listening.  This particular one is well designed and I haven't noticed
any screw-ups.  I do wire in my subs in the library though.
It only works with their subs, AFAIK. Some  work quite well is the only point.

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9754

Good bass delayed is good bass denied, Mike