[OM] Ugly truths about EXIF date/times [was: Utility to batch correct da

Subject: [OM] Ugly truths about EXIF date/times [was: Utility to batch correct date/time of Raw files?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:37:55 -0800
On 10/12/2015 6:45 AM, Moose wrote:
On 10/12/2015 1:57 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
On my recent trip to Spain, I neglected to change the date and time on my camera's clock. So all the EXIF data is nine hours earlier than it should be. Is there a reliable utility that can batch-edit the EXIF data in the Olympus Raw files (.ORF) and correct them to when they oughta be? I want to be able to tell the program, "Take all files in this folder and advance the time in the EXIF by 9 hours, so both the date and time will be correct.

Peter's question didn't come soon enough to prevent me from forgetting to change my camera times for the first few days of my time on the East coast.

Most people in that thread gave up, but I am persistent, in part for importing
geotrack data.

Philippe mentioned using LR - but that has its own limitations, see below.

The master of all EXIF and many other of that sort of things is EXIFTOOL, by Phil Harvey. <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/%7Ephil/exiftool/> Nothing else comes close.

This command line works perfectly to add three hours to the time of the three date/time fields in EXIF in all files in a directory:

[Path]\exiftool -AllDates+=3 -overwrite_original [dir]

It may also be used in a .bat file in
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo to process any
directory:

@echo on
:begin
if _%1_==__ goto end
echo Processing %1...
C:\Users\Moose\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter\tools\exiftool -AllDates+=1
-overwrite_original %1
:end
pause

Right click on the directory in Windoze Explorer, run the mouse over the choices to Send To and select the name you have given your .bat file.

Slick, quick, but resets the file system date/time to when the .bat file is
run, if that matters to the user.

As Chuck found, FastStone should be able to do the change without messing up the file systems date/time, but does not for .ORF files.

Both FastStone and EXIFToolGUI should be able to change the file date/time to the revised taken time, but FS doesn't work on ORFs and EXIFToolGUI sets time an hour off (perhaps related to the time change today?)

My solution today is to use EXIFToolGUI to change the EXIF date/times and leave the file system date/times unchanged from what the camera wrote.

In EXIFToolGUI:
--------------------------------
Go to the directory of the files to be changed
Select all image files (CTRL-A)
Click on Modify=>EXIF:DateTime Shift
In the pop up box select all four boxes on the right.
Unselect the box on the bottom
Set the offset amount
Execute.

That does it

Now about LR. One may click on the box next to Capture Time in the Metadata display in Library mode. And that does it, for one or many selected files - but in LR only.

Rather than actually change the date/time entries in the file EXIF or those in the "XMP-xmp" section of the .xmp file LR has already written when importing the file(s), it adds a section, "XMP-photoshop", with an entry "DateCreated" with the modified date/time.

That's fine, as long as you only look at the file in LR. But if you look at it in other programs, such as FS, the old times are still there. I'm guessing the same problem will apply to files uploaded to web sites that display EXIF info.

I tried syncing LR catalog entries with files with revised EXIF date/times, and
it didn't work, not sure why.

So the trick for LR is to make the EXIF changes before importing - or, remove that directory in LR, delete .xmp files in the directory, and re-import it.

All the above only applies if you have imported images into the LR catalog
while leaving the actual images where they were.

Timed Moose