Re: [OM] An unwelcome update from Clyde

Subject: Re: [OM] An unwelcome update from Clyde
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 11:57:17 -0800
On 11/2/2015 9:39 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
"Focusing mode" is a specific term which refers to manual, auto, continuous,
etc.

As I just posted, I assumed that the reference was to PDAF and CDAF, the BIG focusing difference between the E-M1 and the rest.

I believe what you're referring to is what's called "MF Assist". (Manual Focus Assist) The E-M5 only provided "Magnify" whereas the E-M1 did "Magnify" and "Peaking". But the E-M5 Mk II now provides both as well. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_peaking>

I've tried focus peaking a couple of times and have to admit that I don't much care for it... at least hand held. I've not tried it on a tripod.

I like focus peaking and use it quite a bit hand held. I have AF set on half-press of the shutter release. I half-press, then touch/adjust the focus ring to see if the focal plane is where I want it. As I adjust the ring, the edges of the "peaked" area move forward and back, allowing me a good idea where the focal plane will be and how deep DoF will be. Not precise at DoF; even if the plane is where I want it, focus at the 'edges' of DoF may not be what I want, but will be the best I can do at that f-stop. Better than anything else I've used for hand held, on the fly, shooting.

On a tripod, I prefer Magnify.

Honing In Moose