Re: [OM] OT: Serious Medical Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Serious Medical Question
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:36:25 -0800
Chris: Please don't screw around with this. What you're describing could be
benign vitreous detachment, but it also could be the beginning of a detached
retina. And one can lead to the other. Fluid can get under the retina where the
receding vitreous fluid caused a small tear, and "float" it off the back of
your eye.

That's what happened to me. A couple of years ago, I had similar symptoms, with
periodic flashing on the edge of my field of vision. When I called the eye
doctor, the assistant sounded convinced it was nothing serious, but gave me an
appointment the next day. When I arrived, the doctor took one look at my retina
and scheduled me for emergency surgery two hours later. He told me that if I
had waited another day or two, he might not have been able to fix it.

As I said, don't screw around. You're not a doctor. Don't play one on the
Internet. The consequences of being wrong are too great.

--Peter, dictating to my iPad
(If it misconstrues, please excuse)

Now that I have this terminology handy, I'm getting quite an education in
"vitreous detachment" and vitreous fluid health. In the case of aging, this is
quite normal, and there is no remedy in the way of drug therapy or surgery that
is applicable. The items in the vitreous fluid simply float to the bottom of
the eye and remain there until they are very slowly dissolved, and it can take
a month or more for that to happen. In regard to naturopathics, a diet adjusted
for increased Vitamin C, Vitamin E, carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin is
recommended. According to nutritiondata.com, the foods highest in lutein and
zeaxanthin are kale, spinach, dandelion greens, turnip greens, chard, collard
greens, and mustard greens for starters. Many of these are rich in Vitamin C,
especially spinach. So, I'm going to be seeing nothing but green salads for
lunch from here on. Chris > >> >>Chris, >> Looking back at your original post
it would seem you have had a recent >>uptick in visual floaters. If yo
 u have never had them before but are now >>having multiple floaters, I would
strongly recommend you have a retinal >>exam. >> > > Aha! I knew that if I
brought this up on this list that I would soon get > a reply that would lead me
to an understanding of what is taking place, and > the term "visual floaters"
was the key. I looked this up and found that this > is exactly what I am
experiencing, and in my case it is probably nothing more > than a result of
aging. > > Other causes listed were retinal detachment, head trauma, and other
items > that would not be related to me. > > A very likely cause is called
"vitreous detachment": >