Re: [OM] OT: Serious Medical Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Serious Medical Question
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:54:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Chris: Please don't screw around with this. What you're describing could be
>benign
>vitreous detachment, but it also could be the beginning of a detached retina.
>And
>one can lead to the other. Fluid can get under the retina where the receding
>vitreous fluid caused a small tear, and "float" it off the back of your eye.
>
>That's what happened to me. A couple of years ago, I had similar symptoms,
>with
>periodic flashing on the edge of my field of vision. When I called the eye
>doctor,
>the assistant sounded convinced it was nothing serious, but gave me an
>appointment
>the next day. When I arrived, the doctor took one look at my retina and
>scheduled
>me for emergency surgery two hours later. He told me that if I had waited
>another
>day or two, he might not have been able to fix it.
>
>As I said, don't screw around. You're not a doctor. Don't play one on the
>Internet.
>The consequences of being wrong are too great.

     I appreciate your concern and I am taking it seriously.  In the meantime,
I've been paying close attention to it and have noticed a few things.  First,
the small one in the right eye has already disappeared, and the smaller one in
the left eye is almost gone.  The larger one in the left eye is "unraveling",
less compact than yesterday.

     Also, the density (or opacity) appears to be directly proportional to UV
light intensity.  If I'm reading under an incandescent light, it is hardly
noticeable, but if I'm outdoors under a clear sky, it is visible when looking
at a light-coloured background, such as the sky.  I also noticed that it was
hardly noticeable while at a movie this afternoon (Jurassic World).

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson