Re: [OM] IMG: Yard Sale Treasure

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Yard Sale Treasure
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 06:20:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>That's quite a deal!

     Yes, it was a real surprise to come across that.  I find useful tools
every so often at yard sales.  Last year I found an older model of my 6"
grinder, and it had a larger motor (1/3 HP vs. 1/4 HP) plus the work light
attachment that is not available for the newer one.  Got it for $20 and donated
my 1/4 HP one to the bike shop, where it gets used every day.

>I'm hoping to locate a decent milling machine at a
>bargain price one day. There is little to no commercial demand for the
>manual machines any more, and the trick is finding an old machine shop
>being liquidated, I expect, as well as having sufficient manpower and truck
>to haul one of those heavy suckers off.

     I bought a 1/2 HP benchtop mill/drill over 20 years ago.  It belonged to a
fellow who had worked at the ENCO showroom in Tempe, where he bought it as an
employee at wholesale.  It was still in the crate and he sold it to me at cost.

     Grizzly Indistrial has a couple of similar machines.  These small ones
don't have much "daylight", but for the small work that I do it's just fine.  I
got a low profile vise from Rutland, and later a rotary vise from Grizzly.
Other attachments filtered in over the years, such as a NOS ENCO tailstock for
the spin indexer, which I found on evilBay.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson