Re: [OM] OT . The Tin Triangle

Subject: Re: [OM] OT . The Tin Triangle
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:07:04 -0600
> That doesn’t make it a good idea, Ken.  A simple roll would have been safer;
> a barrel roll is almost inherently dangerous as it can so easily turn into a
> vertical manoeuvre without having reached the appropriate gate height.  Add
> to that the truly rubbish view out of the cockpit and you have a very risk
> undertaking.  The pilots were stupid to increase the risk.

I don't disagree at all. The sequence of still pictures I've seen of
it doing the final roll make it look like it's closer to a standard
wing-roll instead of a positive-G barrel roll. The B-47 needed +20
degrees pitch before starting the maneuver.

Maybe ChrisT can tell us about barrel rolling C-130 aircraft.

AG