Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:05:35 -0800
On 11/12/2015 9:05 AM, Frank wrote:
I think focus stacking will be nice feature for macro, think it is e-m1 only
though.

And, as it happens, Chuck has an E-M1. But lets get this straight:

There are two related, but different, new features, Focus Stacking and Focus
Bracketing.

Focus Stacking, for the E-M1 only, "In Focus Stacking Mode, a single press of the shutter captures eight RAW or JPEG shots with varying focal positions and automatically composites them into a single JPEG file for a macro shot with incredible depth of field." Done in-camera.

OTOH - HOWEVER - CAVEAT - "At this time, only the 60mm f/2.8 Macro, 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro and 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro are compatible with Focus Stacking mode." <http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/15/olympus-breathes-new-life-into-e-m1-with-big-firmware-update-e-m5-ii-ga> As I have the 60/2.8, but not an E-M1, I won't be trying this feature. :-)

Focus Bracketing, for both E-M1 & E-M5II, "Users can also take their macro photography a step further with Focus Bracketing Mode, which captures up to 999 shots with varying focal positions. Third-party photo-editing software can be used to merge the files into one breathtaking image that reveals the details of any subject, from the small, like a bloom of a rose or an exotic insect, to a large depth of field in a telephoto landscape." I don't see where Oly says, but I imagine this may be Raw and/or JPEG, as with all other shooting.

It's also not clear whether it may be used with High Resolution mode. Lets see, a focus bracket of 8, in HR mode, equals 64 shutter actuations!

(For those new to focus stacking, Focus Bracketing is not necessarily the ideal solution. Changing focus changes image size, so your stacking software must be able to resample all but one of the resulting images. I believe many/most do, but know little about details, or how well they do that. Manually moving the camera, using a focusing rail, gives smaller changes in image size.)

In this regard, Oly seems to be out in front of most other makers in attitude toward their buyers, "Frequent Feature Upgrades offer the most innovative imaging technology available today so you can love your camera longer."

DoF is in the Details Moose