Re: [OM] I was just re-reading DPR's coverage of the E1...

Subject: Re: [OM] I was just re-reading DPR's coverage of the E1...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:16:48 -0600
> Do y'all realize that was November of 2003?  Man, 12 years runs by fast.

Some of us are still using the E-1.

The one thing that DPR has done a poor job of through the years is
comparing the intangibles. Which is just about impossible. Sure, the
camera had a few issues, as compared to others at the time, but the
strengths still created a compelling camera system that has stood up
better over time than the contemporary cameras of its time.

Another factor from that era, which I believe set back digital
photography for almost 10 years, is the mistaken assumption that CMOS
was superior to CCD because Canon happened to figure out how to make a
CMOS sensor with less apparent imaging noise than the CCD sensors of
the time. The narrative became all about sensor noise, and imaging
color as well as image malleability was ignored. DPR directly
contributed to this narrative, for which, they are entirely guilty of
destroying photography companies as a result. It has only been in the
last two years that CMOS sensors have finally attained the IQ
comparative to what CCD had in 2013. A couple of years ago, Phil even
admitted to it in some oblique way.

For the E-1, the things that DPR got right in the review was the
horrid AF performance, spotty AWB, poor high-ISO noise control and
lackluster read-write speeds. The LCD monitor is horrid and the menu
system was a sign of insanity to come.

Where DPR got things REALLY wrong, was in the camera size and weight.
A smaller sensor did not mean smaller cameras. A smaller sensor
allowed the camera to be right-sized. The lenses, while slow in AF,
are still among the best made. Three lenses took you from 8mm to 200mm
and were show-stopper in quality. The CCD sensor with mixture of Kodak
and Olympus dithering magic creates an imaging quality that far
exceeds the pixel count. My wife will still pick out the E-1 pictures
in a wedding shoot where all three cameras are being used. The camera
just does something special for human skin.

DPR also got wrong the criticism on the image review. It is a little
complex to figure out, but it is actually a brilliant design. DPR also
got wrong the level of importance of the self-cleaning sensor. They
eventually came around, but not soon enough. DPR didn't have a clue
how nearly indestructible the camera is either. I know, first hand,
just how solid the E-1 is.

DPR really went off the rails when criticizing the new "limited" lens
selection. That was short-sighted and is something they keep doing.

AG Schnozz