Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:58:33 -0800
On 11/14/2015 12:40 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
That seemed to work pretty well. I've only ever tried focus stacking once and was so disappointed in the results that I've never tried it again.

It was 3 or 4 years ago so would have been done with the 5D. I don't know which lens. The neighbor's crabapple tree was in splendid bloom and I asked if I could cut off a small branch. I cut off a piece about 18-24" long and put it into a large vase with water in it. I set the vase on a table on our enclosed porch... no wind. I don't recall how many exposures I took or exactly how long it took (10-15 minutes at most) but the process didn't work. To my utter astonishment the blossoms and tiny branches wilted so much during the shoot that the stitching software couldn't put them together. At this point I don't recall if I was using Photoshop or Combine-Z. In any case it didn't work. One of these days I'll have to try again.

This was quite different. Two shots, hand held, of a living plant in the wild. I was hiking along, saw this splendid example of native Sticky Monkey Flower, realized there was no way I could get enough DoF for the image I wanted, took two quick shots with different focal planes in five seconds, with the thought I might be able to combine them later, and walked on. They were combined by hand in PS, using layer masks, not using any stacking software.

I included it in my post not to illustrate the use of software, but that only a very few "slices" are needed at non-macro distances and moderate focal lengths.

Layered Moose