Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:52:35 -0600
Up to Date Moose wrote:
> I'm not sure where the line is ... on either manufacturer or user sides.

That is a fair question. The old argument that a device is still as
good as it was when you first bought it is usually true, but not
always so. Take the Apple iPAD 1 as an example. On several occasions,
lately, I've had entire apps disappear because the support for them
has gone away and the publisher has revoked them. The device is slowly
getting bricked. At some point, there will be no more functional apps
running on it at all and all that remains is a $500 piece of aluminum
and glass.

> I used a Canon 5D for five years, during which time it was rendered
> "obsolete" by new models. But they offered nothing new that was compelling
> for my use, so I didn't feel it was obsolete. In the end, it was mostly the
> promise of less size and weight with no diminution of IQ that moved me on.

In the case of your 5D, it was certainly an example of the user moving
on. You changed phases of life and the old system no longer fit.

> If you look at Oly's history with µ4/3 and the Pens, they tended to announce
> new models with the flimsiest of real changes/improvements. The E-P2 and
> E-PL6 are blatant examples. The "6" is the worst, with only firmware
> changes. So I find it a refreshing change of pace that they have chosen to
> offer free firmware upgrades with really significant improvements for the
> OMDs.

A new year, a new model. Olympus has always done this with the
consumer cameras. A given model is produced in a manufacturing run and
never repeated again. The next run will have a new model number.

> If you don't need all that hardware change stuff, I can see no reason either
> to buy a new body, or to feel unloved. ;-)

And then there are people like me....

AG Schnozz