[OM] Art Auction

Subject: [OM] Art Auction
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 05:19:28 +1300

Something happened over this last month which blew my mind.

As
most of you will know, since I moved to my present village from the city
of Christchurch ( fortunately before the devastating earthquakes they
had there), about 6 years ago, I have tried to take part in the local
art scene through photography. I have participated in many of the
exhibitions held, and tried to join a co-operative which has its own
gallery (Hullaballo). And I have exhibited at local craft fairs.

If
you had asked me if I thought I was considered by local artists to be an
artist, I would have said "No".

Out of the blue, two days after our
house fire, I was approached by one of the leading lights of the
Hullabaloo Arts Collective, and informed that they wished to have an art
auction to get me back on my feet, so to speak. And, would I agree?

Well, I did. It would have been ungracious to decline such friendship.
Emotionally, I was overcome by this totally unexpected proposal.

The
auction was held last Friday evening; 51 objects were up for auction,
and (at a guess) 70 people showed up. A great auctioneer gave his
considerable services for free. We provided food (nibbles) and drink.

It was held at OCTA Gallery
http://cromwellheritageprecinct.co.nz/arts/octa-gallery/

Apart from
being professionally run, it was a great fun evening. Hilarious at times
!! Most items were sold. My son Eric phoned the gallery from London UK
just before the auction started and consulted with me about two items I
was to bid on for him ( I won one, the other (a photograph) went too
high).

For those on facebook, see here.

https://www.facebook.com/objects.of.art/

https://www.facebook.com/hullabaloo-art-space-121751894536040/?fref=ts

I was able to buy a sapphire ring for my wife's birthday on the 28th
of this month at a great price as well.

I have also been blessed with
two very nice pieces of Olympus gear from this Olympus community, for
which I am very grateful.

I am totally amazed, and very grateful, for
the goodwill shown to me from many people all over after our calamity.

I may post a few shots on tope2. I did not take many.

With best
regards, Brian Swale