[OM] Did William the Conqueror ride a 2 chevals ;-)

Subject: [OM] Did William the Conqueror ride a 2 chevals ;-)
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 13:29:50 +0100
Still on the pedantic side ;-)

Old French had "cheval" for singular (still relevant), and "chevals" was the plural form.

However, the "al" in the word was pronounced as in "to alter".
Progressivement the sound dominated the written form in the plural, and the sound 'O' was transcribed as "au" (think of auxiliary).
A silent "x" also remained to signal the plural.

Amities

Philippe