Re: [OM] [OT] Win10

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Win10
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 20:29:15 -0500
In my neighborhood (55+ community of 450 houses) there are 5 of us that have formed a little team called the computer helpers that assist our residents with computer related problems. Our advice to our residents was to delay updating until we have tested it ourselves and give them the go-ahead. Two of the team volunteered to be the guinea pigs. One was immediately beset with personal problems that have prevented him from doing anything. The other found that Win 10 would not install on his Win 7 machine. He suspects it's a video device driver problem but hasn't had the time (or inclination) to shake it out. He was also recently gifted a brand new laptop that had Win 10 factory installed and that's working fine.

Win 10 had some interesting new security functions but they require new hardware. Apart from that I haven't seen any reason I would risk compatibility with what I already have for very little new function or improved performance. Without the new shiny it ain't broke so don't fix it.

November was supposed to see a major set of fixes to Win 10 but it's rumored the release has been delayed for unknown reasons. As a former system test manager I can speculate on all sorts of things but am happy that someone stopped the train if it wasn't ready to stay on the tracks.

Y'all can do what you want but I've still got 9 or 10 months to make the decision. I'm happy to wait as long as I can to get the most stable version I can... If I don't become an Apple fan boy before that comes about. Could be... I'm not happy with Microsoft at the moment.

Chuck Norcutt