Re: [OM] Cannondale was Re: IMGS: Experimental Photos with Leica SL

Subject: Re: [OM] Cannondale was Re: IMGS: Experimental Photos with Leica SL
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 16:27:41 -0600
>      I've had a few of my bikes up to about 30 MPH, and my cadence was pretty
> much at the limit.  These older bikes with threaded freewheels are pretty
> much limited to 13 teeth minimum.  I have one bike, a Puch Maro Polo
> commemorative, that has a 54 tooth chainring.  Weight and frame stiffness
> become factors at higher speeds, as does the pavement.

Back when I was at the top of my form, I could hit the high thirties
and low forties going across the causeway between Whitehall and
Montague. Confirmed by police radar. :)

But Michigan has some wonderful hills that are of that level of
steepness which makes riding uphill a pain because a road race bike
usually isn't geared low enough, but is fine if you are running a
triple chain-ring (touring bikes, mountain bikes). Going downhill is
exciting and you can let'r-rip without a care in the world. Just tuck
and go. The hills are steeper at the top and flatten out as you get to
the bottom. No curves, just a long stretch of patched asphalt. Enough
bumps to it that you need to carry your weight on the feet and let the
seat and handlebars move around freely. At these speeds, and
conditions, the Japanese road bikes (wasn't just the Fujis), would
start the death shake.

Schnozz Rattle and Roll