Re: [OM] IMG: Sadie and Granddad in B&W

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sadie and Granddad in B&W
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 20:45:20 -0800
On 11/27/2015 2:33 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
I like the way the SL files convert to B&W in Silver Efex:
What do you think?

I think it's another of your great captures of people.

And it appears that either Sadie has some sort of awful skin rash, in which case I wish her a speedy recovery - or the conversion has gone bad.

I've never used Silver Efex, but I imagine it has a way to adjust the mix of colors that go into the B&W result, as does PS. I believe that it was in an AG post here that I first read about problem with very clear skin on young white kids. The red of their blood shows through. While sometimes a problem in color, which can be reduced in post, it's apparently a regular problem going back deep into film days. The solution with B&W film was a filter. I don't know what, but I know AG has posted about it.

In digital conversion to B&W, the solution is in the color sliders in the B&W conversion tool. This is all theoretical, not practice to me, who does oh so few portraits, but I can see the results.

I'd be interested to see what the M/MM would have produced here. Other than Sadie's skin, the B&W tonalities aren't bad, but somehow seem to me less smooth, sophisticated, something or other, than the Monochromes. Maybe the midpoint and the slope around it are different? Maybe the demosaicing losses something compared to pure luminance sensing, although I've seen some glorious conversions on occasion.

Whimper.

C'mon, get up off the floor and get a hold of yourself. :-) I can't always fill in where your actual experience and expertise should be paying attention.

I think that Leica has a winner of a camera.

Seems it may be so. With so many of the great old names in cameras and lenses gone, marginalized, sold for branding unrelated dreck or grasping at straws*, it's nice to see one of the greatest hitting their stride in digital.

The nattering nabobs of negativism are to be ignored. Embrace the red dot.

Not for me, but the choice by others to go that way makes more sense to me than before. The move from rangefinder to EVF is very attractive to this long time TTL viewing macro and super tele addict. OTOH, no IBIS for the old glass. Of course, all the old Leicaphiles never has IS, but might it be possible their steady hands are going the way of their eyesight as many of them age? Heaven knows there should be room in that behemoth of a body. ;-)

As Sony figured out, IBIS is a BIG thing for those who want a FF digital back for their manual lenses. And as Mike points out, the difference in price is a lot to pay for less resolution and less DR for those like him looking for a digital back for their beloved manual lenses.

I wish Leica well and rejoice for those of their lovers who will find the SL
fabulous, but it's not for me.

It seems to me that using gear to impress the masses with what a great photographer one is can still rely on something big and black, with a huge lens, to do the trick, so that may be a plus. ;-)

I wonder if folks at Sony are dancing thanks to Leica for making the various A7
bodies look like bargains. :-D

Recalcitrant Moose