Re: [OM] IMG: Sadie and Granddad in B&W

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sadie and Granddad in B&W
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 15:13:20 -0800
On 11/29/2015 7:03 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
I have no idea what you are seeing.  I blew the photo up to 100% on
Sophie's face and I see no skin rash.

"Rash" was intended as a bit of humor, to point up what it seemed to me efex
pro had probably done.

She has a little bit of melted marshmallow and a few freckles.

http://www.pbase.com/image/161951477

In the color one, you can see the veins in her forehead and a little blush
on her cheeks, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/161951484

OK, thanks for a color version, so I can show what I'm talking about. There is, as you say, some (mottled) blush, blood showing through, on cheeks and neck. Simply desaturating the image makes it B&W, with the blush in tonal proportion to the color original. Compare that to the efex pro version*, where the blush has turned dark and harsh, with increased contrast emphasizing the mottling. (And, BTW, made the already edgy bokeh on the tree worse, too.)

The rest of the B&W versions are my imagining of what I might do, were she my granddaughter, for a print. Not quite finished work, but illustrative.

Also BTW, I find it hard to image that anyone is actually that red, so I did a, to my eye, slightly more realistic skin tone version.

Mottled Moose

* The samples provided weren't actually the same size, so at least one is not an actual 100% original. I scaled down the efex pro version to match, so it doesn't completely cover the others.