Re: [OM] (OT) iPhone image

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) iPhone image
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:33:51 -0600
Since Bob invoked the chant of AG...

I understand and agree with the vision shift. When I started shooting
large format, I too started composing and seeing the world with
different eyes. And more recently, as I was going through my "altered
reality" phase, I was seeing and looking for subjects that would fit
that vision. Unfortunately, what usually happens to me is that I see
everything in that light and overlook or skip the compositions which
will have legs. I'm starting to emerge from that phase and am
screaming at myself for the missed shots from that period.

To this day, the lowly Minolta A1 produces images, that to my eye,
have a distinct 4x5 characteristic to them. It's obviously not because
of the 5mp sensor or the 2/3" size of the sensor. I think it's a
combination of the quirks of the lens as well as the live-view
display. I've never gotten the same feel from any 4/3 camera, though.
It's exclusive to that one camera.

When I go out with just one or two lenses, I see the world through
those two fixed rectangles. It isn't limiting--in fact, it is
liberating. It allows me to remove an entire set of decisions to be
made when taking the picture.

So, here we are with our new digital cameras built into our cell
phones. The cameras are actually VERY good and the overall imaging
quality is excellent. Limitations? Oh, absolutely. High-ISO
performance is gut-wrench, and you have the dynamic range of a hunk of
waterlogged chipboard. But what is most disturbing to me, and why I
struggle with it so much is the extremely poor ergonomics. From trying
to see the screen in bright sunlight to the fact that it is so hard to
hold and shoot. It has helped that I now have this selfie-stick
dohicky monopod thing, but still, it's a pain.

AG