Re: [OM] No fly Friday

Subject: Re: [OM] No fly Friday
From: Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 01:26:51 +0000
Curiously, Chris, I can confirm that the Polebrook concrete runways (grass
for an 8th AF bomber base??) were being broken up in the mid-70s. I was at
that time working in St Neots, taking in cab and roadside noise
measurements of trucks under test. It was inconvenient using the B1040
immediately SW of Eltisley, though it was sufficiently level and almost
straight enough to allow the constant speed passes that were needed for the
measurements (for the benefit of listens, I should point out that this is
about two miles from Chateau Barker). I reasoned that there ought to be a
few unused runways nearby, and spent a few evenings reviewing the local
maps. Tempsford was nearest but in use as a skid pan for the police, so I
had to look further afield, and we ended up offering the farmer at
Polebrook an inducement to leave a certain runway untouched for a year or
two. The remaining central section of Runway 16/30 served perfectly for the
roadside measurements, while the trek up and down the A1 gave us an ideal
route for the in cab measurements! Good result, but I don't recall the boss
ever noticing my contribution.

The remains visible at Polebrook today are what is left of the 1960s Thor
missile base, three launch pads with a characteristic T plan.

Small world, eh?

Piers