[OM] Panorama technique [was Medicine Bow Peak]

Subject: [OM] Panorama technique [was Medicine Bow Peak]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 21:29:00 -0800
On 12/6/2015 6:09 PM, John Hudson wrote:
Understood and thank you for the explanation. I have never done any side by side stitching of images but from from yours and from those of other OMers the side to side distortions [eg: cloud formations] look to be invisible.

Exactly the point of the technique Ken outlines. I agree - and - even leaving out linear distortion, really wide lenses add anamorphic distortions. I learned pretty early on to do panoramas with moderate focal lengths. When I experimented with my 17-35 mm zoom on the FF 5D, I got much better results turning it vertically @ 35 mm for more shots than horizontally @ 17 mm for 2-3 shots. With few, super wide shots, moderate distortion that one would not notice in a single shot can make transitions odd. It's actually pretty easy to see; just scanning across the subject through the viewfinder, one may see the movement of supposedly fixed things.

And as Ken says, lots of overlap is good.

This panorama is maybe 160°±.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19336>

Taken along a roadside, and I can see the roadside weeds on the right and left edges, so approaching 180°. I didn't think about focal length, beyond grabbing the body with 12-50 on it, turned it vertical and set the focal length to give me some vertical room. Turned out to be 19 mm, but I wasn't paying attention to that at the time. Mostly, I was making false starts, as clouds wafted their shadows across the view.

As it turned out, six shots did the job, but again, I wasn't counting, just overlapping by somewhere around 50% and trying to hold level while hand holding. This kind of landscape series almost always seems to turn out well in PS without fuss.

W. A. Moose