Re: [OM] Climate Change Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Climate Change Photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 16:10:17 -0800
On 12/7/2015 7:15 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
"The notion of too little and too much is achieved aesthetically and
compositionally in Rybus' photo series.  She notes how some of the photos
feel very sparse, awhile others feel very claustrophobic."

That's one way of saying that she pays no attention to composing

I'm a gonna disagree. Leaving aside the "cut off heads", the compositions seem to me generally good. 1, 4, 7, 9, 12 & 14 seem to me good to excellent. 8 qualifies, too, if leveled. 10 is, as she says, too claustrophobic, for my taste, busy, without a grounding point. It's almost like she made up the statement before selecting images, then was stuck including a crummy one that fits the description.

  and cuts people's heads off.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/06/africa/cnnphotos-senegal-climate-change/index.html

2 and 11 look like attempts to universalize by avoiding faces. Although it doesn't work for me, I think I can see what she is hoping to accomplish with them.

Critic Two Moose