[OM] (OT) ScamScamAppleScamManchesterScam

Subject: [OM] (OT) ScamScamAppleScamManchesterScam
From: Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 18:39:24 -0500
Got an email today on a no-longer-used email account. From
Manchesterarndale@xxxxxxxxx, purporting to be my receipt from the Apple
Store. There is an Apple Store in Arndale/Manchester. Everything looked
exactly like previous Apple receipts I've received here in Maine, except
that the attachment was an Excel (.xls) spreadsheet.

This did not seem right. Googling Manchesterarndale@xxxxxxxxx brought up
the expected malware warning. It can be either an Excel (.xls) or a Word
(.doc or .docx) attachment, and it's one of those malware programs that
goes after passwords and banking information.

According to the supposed authorities on several sites, the malware works
on Windows only. Apple users need not worry. Nevertheless, I ran a malware
program for Macs I have installed, and I came up clean. The email has been
deleted.

I pass this along particularly for those in the UK who might be tempted to
click on something, even though I realize (realise) this is unlikely with
this group.

I strongly oppose the death penalty, except for people who write malware
and viruses. I think _that's_ where our drone program should concentrate.
(Tongue halfway in cheek.)

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal