Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Christmas Tree

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Christmas Tree
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:38:18 -0600
Moose wrote:
> With respect to those, like two of our listees names Chris, who made a
> career in the military arms of major governments, I find the idea of
> expressing public appreciation, even love, of machines designed to kill
> people, uh, troublesome, particularly when the emphasis isn't on some other
> aspects of them as flying machines, but on their effectiveness at killing.

So, the P-51, B-17, and so forth are on your list of machines to be
loathed, not appreciated?

> I'm not interested in opening a discussion about war in general, or any
> discussion at all. I speak only about the glorification of killing. How do
> you think the terrorists get to the point of killing?

In the case of the C.A.S. modifications to a common crop-duster, you
are implying that this is all about tools of war. How about tools of
law enforcement? Granted, the law enforcement and army is always going
to be an extension of whatever regime is in power. A country can go
from free to oppressive in just a matter of a couple of years, and
back to free again just as quickly. Without devices like this in the
hands of those responsible for keeping the peace, a country can fall
into anarchy very quickly. In the absence of power, power will fill
the vacuum, as we have seen over and over again throughout history.

This is no different than door locks. You can use a door lock to keep
somebody out. You can also use a door lock to imprison people.

AG