Re: [OM] IMG: B-25 from the Archives

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: B-25 from the Archives
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 19:30:16 -0600
> All I know is that we designed and delivered a nav console that could do it.
> I spent 10 days on the Nimitz while it was being tested but we never needed
> to run the ship backwards and I don't know if anyone ever has.

I don't know if one was ever run backwards in anger, but its something
that is done during sea-trials. Several years ago, they almost lost a
brand new carrier when they had it going too fast in reverse and it
got a wee bit too unstable. The speed they hit is probably classified,
but needless to say, it was likely very impressive. The crazy speed
was only possible because it has no rudder.

AG